Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine

of Case Western Reserve University

Tuition/Financial Aid > Types of Assistance

Tuition/Financial Aid

Types of Assistance

Two main types of financial assistance are available to students: scholarships and student loans. Learn more about each below.


Full Tuition Scholarship

All CCLCM students receive a full scholarship that covers tuition and fees. In the research thesis year, a continuation fee equal to 5 percent of tuition is required; this cost also is covered by the full tuition scholarship.

Outside Scholarships

Outside scholarship money is limited. It is your responsibility to take the initiative and work with the Director of Financial Aid to identify and pursue any available funding sources. Scholarship information is also available at the library and online:



TIP: When searching for outside scholarships, keep a list of those for which you are eligible. If you find one that requires you to be a second- or third-year medical student or the deadline has just passed, record all the important information about the scholarship: who's offering it, how to contact them, application process, deadline and requirements. That way you can apply in the future!




Armed Forces Scholarship

The Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) provides financial help to medical students in exchange for active duty service as a medical officer (physician) in the armed services (Air Force, Army or Navy). Note that the stipend portion of the scholarship is considered taxable by the IRS.

Visit your local recruiter or:

National Health Service Corps Scholarship

This is a competitive federal program of service-obligated scholarships whose mission is to provide primary healthcare to the neediest populations. Priority is given to applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds who are likely to continue to practice in health professional shortage areas following their service obligations. The minimum service obligation is two years. Note that the stipend portion of the scholarship is considered taxable by the IRS.
Student Loans

Federal Loans

Unsubsidized federal Stafford loans are low-interest loans made to you by the U.S. Department of Education. All new students should complete one Master Promissory Note for the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan.

Alternative Loan Programs

Currently, many lenders are not participating in private alternative loan programs. In the past, these loans helped student meet the cost of attendance after exhausting funds from the federal Stafford loan program. Contact the Financial Aid Office to learn which lenders may still be offering alternative loans.

Graduate PLUS Loan Program

The Federal Graduate PLUS Loan is a federally guaranteed student loan to help meet costs that exceed federal Stafford loan limits. Previously available only to parents of undergraduates, this loan is now available to graduate students that meet federal eligibility requirements. To qualify, your credit report cannot reflect any of the following negative items:
  • Currently 90 days delinquent on repayment of any debt
  • Debt discharged in bankruptcy during the past five years
  • Evidence of a default, foreclosure, tax lien, repossession, wage garnishment or write-off of a Title IV debt during the past five years

Borrowers are given up to 10 years to repay. Borrowers with more than $30,000 in combined federal loans may be eligible for extended repayment up to 25 years. You may qualify for deferment and/or forbearance on this loan. An origination fee may be charged.

Loan Disbursement / Refunds

Your federal Stafford loan (unsubsidized and Grad Plus) and alternative loans are disbursed to the school in two installments, one for each semester. Banks electronically transfer the money to the student’s account at the school. When the tuition is paid in full, a refund check is issued to the student within 10 days if the difference between the amount of tuition owed is less than the amount of the check(s).