Each quarter, we nominate a Wellness Champion that has excelled in planning/coordinating events and promoting wellness at their site. We are pleased to announce that Shannon Herchick from Hillcrest Hospital is the Q2 winner of our Wellness Champion Caregiver Celebrations award. She received $100 to spend on the Caregiver Celebrations site.
Goal of the Wellness Champion Program
The goal of the Wellness Champion Program is to promote a worksite culture that supports caregivers’ desire to make healthy lifestyle choices and to engage others in wellness activities that promote these goals.
Purpose of the Wellness Champion Program
In today’s fast-paced world where most of our lifestyle choices are influenced by convenience and technology, chronic health conditions/diseases have begun to rise at an alarming rate. As one of the world's most respected academic medical centers, we see first-hand the consequences of certain preventable conditions and their effects on the healthcare system.
Here at Cleveland Clinic, we have a strong history of leadership in the wellness sphere. By focusing on prevention, several chronic conditions/diseases can be prevented or made less serious. As a result, our Employee Wellness team focuses on promoting wellness efforts in four main areas: physical activity, nutrition, stress management, and tobacco cessation.
The Wellness Champion Program acts as an extension of our Employee Wellness team and is a collaborative effort of caregivers across the Cleveland Clinic network who lead by example through their enthusiastic commitment to wellness. Wellness Champions & Ambassadors help to support the efforts of Employee Wellness by providing resources, information and healthy opportunities to their fellow caregivers.
Helps to carry out wellness initiatives by overseeing and developing programs within their work sites. Serves as a contact person for their area facilitating events with the assistance of other Wellness Champions and the Employee Wellness Department. Acts as a driver for building a culture of health and encouraging participation in wellness programs.
• Each member will serve a minimum term of one (1) year
Wellness Champion Responsibilities
• Attend one hour Wellness Champion training annually either in person or via webcast
• Basic knowledge of Wellness Institute structure and program offerings
• Attend four meetings and one event annually
• Participate in the planning of at least one event
• Share information with your area
• Engage friends and colleagues to participate in wellness programs
• Provide feedback to Employee Wellness about thoughts, ideas, concerns and suggestions for Wellness programs
• Promote monthly health topics
• Coordinate the implementation of wellness activities at the work location, including scheduling, promoting and evaluating the program
Acts as a spokesperson for wellness programs and events by posting announcements and flyers as well as sending email updates. Helps to recruit co-workers to participate in wellness programs as well as collect ideas and feedback about the program.
Wellness Ambassador Responsibilities
• Share information with area
• Support wellness initiatives to best of ability
Copyright 2013 by The Cleveland Clinic