Borrowing Library Materials
- Register for a Library Account to borrow from the Library.
- Search the Library Catalog to find materials available for loan, reference, or online use.
- Items marked AVAILABLE should be on the library shelves. Come to the library to check out these items.
- Place a HOLD on items that are checked out. You will receive an email when the item is returned and we will hold it for you for one week.
- Request from OhioLINK items that we do not own, are checked out, or are Library Use Only.
- Alumni Library Loan period: 3 weeks for all items (books, CDs, and DVDs) that circulate.
- OhioLINK Loan period: 3 weeks for books. 1 week for CDs and DVDs.
- Maximum of 10 items can be checked out at one time.
- Reminder notices are emailed two days before items are due.
- Note: Reminder notices can be blocked by email services.
- Best practice: Create a reminder in your calendar or mobile to alert you to renew items before their due date.
- Note: Overdue items and items with holds cannot be renewed.
Who can Borrow?
- Renewal period: 3 weeks.
- Number of renewals: 4
Renewals NOT available if:
- Item is overdue.
- Someone places a hold on the item.
- CDs/DVDs from OhioLINK libraries cannot be renewed.
How to Renew
Returning Library Materials
- Drop off items at the Library's Information Desk, OR
- Use the book drop (except for CDs and DVDs) outside of the Library by the time clock.
- Courtesy / Reminder notices: emailed 2 days before an item is due.
- First notice: emailed the day after an item is due.
- Second notice: emailed one week later.
- Bills: mailed to home address 2 weeks after the second notice.
- Note: many email systems, such as Google and Yahoo, block group mailings so we recommend that you give us both your home and Cleveland Clinic emails.
Fines and Bills
- Fines for items borrowed from the Cleveland Clinic Alumni Library: $0.25 per day. Starting 7/1/2016, this amount will go up to $0.50 per day.
- Fines for items borrowed from OhioLINK and other libraries: $0.50 per day.
- Bills: amount depends on replacement cost of items borrowed.
- OhioLINK items: billed at $125 per item.
- $125 fine reduced to $50 per item if it is returned undamaged.
Pay Fines with Credit Card -- NEW!
The library has added the ability to use credit cards to pay fines. This can be done in the library or at home. The system accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
Download instructions for paying fines with a credit card
Blocking Library Privileges
- When fines are $10 or greater, you are blocked from:
- Ordering and downloading articles from ILLiad, our article ordering and interlibrary loan service.
- Using library resources off-campus.
- Fines must be paid in full to unblock your account.