This hands-on training program is offered by the Cleveland Clinic Department of General Surgery under the preceptorship of Matthew Kroh, MD, Director of Surgical Endoscopy, and Stacy Brethauer, MD.
Through this experience, you will be exposed to basic and advanced elements of both diagnostic and therapeutic flexible endoscopy.
During this immersive training, you will observe and actually perform selected flexible endoscopy procedures. Each participant will have an opportunity to perform diagnostic and therapeutic upper endoscopy and lower endoscopy in the Surgical and Interventional Endoscopy suites.
Topics of discussion and procedures that can be observed include:
- Diagnostic upper endoscopy (with and without biopsy)
- Preoperative upper endoscopy evaluation prior to foregut and bariatric surgery
- Therapeutic upper endoscopy including dilation, stent placement and control of bleeding
- Feeding access including transnasal endoscopy, PEG, PEG-J and direct PEJ
- Intraoperative endoscopy
- Diagnostic colonoscopy
- Therapeutic colonoscopy including polypectomy and control of bleeding, and more
You may also have the opportunity for exposure to advanced endoscopic suturing techniques and ERCP. Specific requests should be made through us.
The curriculum also includes tours of Cleveland Clinic operating rooms, various endoscopy suites and bedside endoscopy as well as participation in all Department of General Surgery conferences.
Please note: Case volume is estimated and may vary depending on scheduling and staff availability.
- Be board-certified or board-eligible general surgeons who routinely perform basic
- laparoscopic procedures
- Be licensed in the state of Ohio or eligible to apply for a Special Activities Permit from the Ohio State Medical Board
- Have practicing privileges in their parent institution
- Provide a statement of goals and expectations, along with the application
Two-week program: $10,000
Four-week program: $20,000
The first step is to complete and submit this pre-application form
Our office will contact you shortly thereafter.